Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Intimacy vs. Reverence

What is on my mind this morning is a lesson our cute little church plant discussed a couple weeks ago. Are we intimate with God? Do we give Him the reverence He deserves? Do we have a healthy balance of the two?
Intimacy is something much easier for me to grasp then reverence...these days...most days. Intimately, I talk to God about anything. I love that I have the freedom to go to Him and praise Him, thank Him, but even wrestle things out with Him. He is my Father. His love is pure, unchanging, and eternal. I go to Him confidently knowing He is always there.
There are quite a few things that just have not gone the way I would have liked in the last few months, so I have been wrestling a bit with God. A devotion I read this morning has opened my eyes to my lack of reverence...

You trust me when things go well, when you see Me working on your behalf. This type of trust flows readily within you, requiring no exertion of your will. When things go wrong, your trust flow slows down and solidifies. You are forced to choose between trusting me intentionally or rebelling: resenting My ways with you.

Friends, that word resenting really stood out to me this morning. I have truly been resenting God. It hurts me deeply that I would be so...humanly frail. (sigh) God deserves my reverence. God is holy. He is right. He is good. He is powerful and mighty. I go to him and proclaim who God is but sometimes deep down I just don't believe it. Sometimes I feel like He is screwing things up. Has anyone else felt this way?! This morning, I go to Him with pain but also joy. Pain, b/c I realize how frail I can be and I don't give Him the reverence that He deserves. Joy, b/c he is gentle and gracious to me in spite of my flaws. May I, with Gods graciousness and power, practice a healthier balance of intimacy and reverence.

Psalm 34
"I will extol the Lord at ALL times; his praise will ALWAYS be on my lips ... I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears ... The angel of the Lord ENCAMPS around those who fear Him ... Taste and see that the Lord is GOOD ... those who seek the Lord lack no good thing ... The Lord redeems his servants; no one will be condemned who takes refuge in Him."

No comments: