Saturday, June 4, 2011

Dont Forget the Third Person!

God is amazing!
He gives me what I need, when I need it.

What he gave me recently is a reminder of the third person. In our christian faith, we need to take advantage of all three! God, Son, and Holy Spirit.

I was recently listening to a sermon on line where he was expressing four key things that he is committed to in this journey called life. He was committed to 1. living 'all in' 2. to follow leadership of the Spirit 3. to finishing the course 4. to doing life in relationship. All this was taken from a passage in Acts/admiring the work of Paul the apostle. (If your interested in listening, go to fellowshiponline.com The sermon is called A Call to Commitment by Tim Lundy)

What moved me the most was the commitment to follow leadership of the Spirit. These following verses encouraged me and empowered me to a deeper love for who I serve and how I live that out.

Ephesians 1: 13-14 "And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession-to the praise of his glory."
We are sealed by the Spirit. I am in His grip and will never let me go!
"a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance" - I have the Holy Spirit to walk with me and guide me, and gives me the best retirement plan EVER!

Galatians 5: 16-18 "So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law."
This passage convicts me to be aware of spiritual warfare and to spend time with Him, to walk in the Spirit. I need to know Him and His character in order to know how to follow him. I read in a book recently, 'Sometimes he invites us to draw close and listen as He reveals Himself...Other times He calls to us to participate in His purposes" (L.Terkeurst) I cant just Do,Do,Do! It includes sitting down to learn and listen to His will.

Ephesians 5:18-20 "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in you heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
ALWAYS give thanks! What are my thoughts? Where is my heart? Am I looking vertical or horizontal? Am I being filled with the Spirit?

Romans 8: 14-18 "...those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children."
We can choose, to be a slave to sin or to be a slave to the Spirit. A slave to the Spirit is eternal and freeing. I can rest in that no matter what, this day can work for good if I choose Him. Him, an intimate God(Father) that claims me as his child.

No comments: