Sunday, January 27, 2008

So Cool Dude!

Check out http://myspace.com/impactawards

My space chose to award an organization that helps to reach those in poverty. Compassion International was nominated in the top three and eventually won! Yipee! If you click on the address I showed you then there is a quick video you can watch with Rebecca St. James.

I believe in this organization. Alf and I joined Compassion only about a year after we were married. We thought it would not only be a way to impact a life of a child, but to also 'keep in check.' Poor us...we were seminary students with only one car, in a one bedroom apt. and would barely eat out. The fact was, we still had more then most people in the world. To play a part in someones lives miles away, to tell them in a letter how much I am proud of them and that they are loved has been an awesome privilige. These children need HOPE and JESUS.

Several years ago our church chose to partner with Compassion (after researching other organizations, C just fit our doctrine and our goals - engaging the body in missions more) and I was asked to help facilitate it. I've always wanted to do more with Compassion and here was my opportunity. I was able to go to Ecuador and see first hand some C projects. It was my first experience in a third world country.

Alf and I felt really strong about wanting to go visit our child that we have been sponsoring now for about nine years. He will be graduating soon and didn't want to miss the opportunity. Thanks to my brother and sister-n-law (who will be watching the boys), and diligence in saving our money - we will be going to the Dominican Republic in early March.

Another blessing has been to sponsor a little girl in Peru that is the same age as Athan. He is actually the one that corresponds with her. It has been neat to see how much they have in common. They both love to draw, both have little brothers, both love hide and seek, etc.

Anyway, if you are still reading this I hope that you have enjoyed it and maybe even feel compelled to sponsor a child :)

Peace out-

4 comments:

Daphne said...

Aly, how exciting!! I know it will be so neat to meet him. And to actually see him graduate, Wow! I remember when you started supporting him.

Yeah for V for offering to keep the boys. They will have a blast with them. I will be praying for you guys as you prepare for the trip.

Marsha said...

I'm so excited for you both! This is wonderful! Next trip...Peru.

I just love your heart, Allison. You seem like a well balanced woman with her eyes to the Lord.

Lord willing, we'll meet up one day.

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness Allison! That is so great. WOW! I am so excited for you guys. I LOVE this ministry. I had never even heard of it. Thanks.

-C said...

Just saw Marsha's comment ... and I had to smile because that's how I think of you. It's neat that she's learned that just from your posts here. Love you.