Thursday, December 11, 2008

I Love Her

I lost my mom when I was 19. That bittersweet thing called cancer took her life when she was only 50 years old. Bittersweet because it takes away those that mean so much to you but it also draws you nearer to the One that planned it.
I have a few things of my moms (not many) that are sentimental to me. Some things are very valuable and some things...well, not so much. She had some costume jewelry Ive held on to for all these years in hopes of doing something special with it - Today was that day.
I am pleased with the outcome. As you see in the picture, the large, colorful beads came from a necklace of hers. I went downtown to a store called Beadworks and got the small pearl beads and small glass beads. I made a necklace and bracelet. I will be going back to make a couple more bracelets - Yeah!


Having my mom die when I was 19, not a whole lot of grieving took place at that time. I was at a place in life where I was starting a new chapter. I had many distractions. Over the years I have had spouts of grieving but allowing life to quickly suck me back into the busyness of a job or mothering babies. Having time now to do something simple like bringing new life to some of her costume jewelry brings me healing. It is a journey, but one that I am embracing more then ever.

8 comments:

Missy said...

That is really neat Allison.
What a great way to hold on to a memory of your Mom.
Great idea and post.

Renee said...

Thanks for sharing. They really did come out nice. I think that's a great way to remember how special your mom was.

Jennifer said...

how beautiful. i remember your losing her and feeling so overwhelmed for you. God has sure been faithful as you've grown older and are such an honor to Him and your mom.

Michelle said...

That is beautiful Allison.

allison said...

thanks for all the encouraging words.

care-in said...

This is really a beautiful way to honor her.

Andy said...

love this post. the necklace and bracelets are great. hey we go way back. i remember and loved your mom. what a great way to remember her.

Daphne said...

Hey Aly I'm just getting caught up on my blog buddies, I just read this one and just cried. You have always been such a great friend to me and we have been through so much together.
This is a beautiful way to remember Ms Betsy. She would have loved it. I am so proud of you and how strong you are.
I love you very much.
It was extra special to spend the day with you last week-end. Hugs to all.