Friday, March 21, 2008

Dominican Republic

Here is Victor, our sponsored child with his mom standing in his home. We sat in his home and drank coke and looked at pictures of him growing up AND we saw quite a few pictures of Alf and I 'growing up.' He has kept all the pictures and letters that I have sent over the years.

Victor is very gifted with wood. Here he is standing with some friends in the workshop. He has been working with wood for close to five years. He makes beds, tables, chairs, etc. Stuff that gets taken to furniture stores. Really beautiful stuff!

Alf and I are very proud of him! He is 18 years old now and actually has a few more years of school. He has a very quiet and kind demeanor. His friends that hung out with us said that he is the quiet one. It was nice to see that he had a good group of friends. Alf and I have always been blessed with a good group of friends and are very happy to see that he has the same.


Victor loves and cares very much for his sister and mother......Please say a prayer for his mother and sister......I don't feel that their faith is very strong. Alf and I are actually impressed with Victor's stamina and staying with the compassion project for as long as he has in spite of his circumstances. We feel that God has given Victor a HOPE that is very special and will not be shaken. Dominican Republic is a beautiful country. Victor's town is called Paraiso, which means Paradise. It certainly lives up to its name....the ocean, mountains, tropical flowers. Above is a picture taken in Santa Domingo. We toured the historical area of the city and the architecture was awsome.


These two last pictures were taken at a beach called Boca chica. It was our day to just relax - sort of. This trip my friends was a blessing, I would not trade it for the world. It was fun and adventurous BUT also uneasy. The language barrier, making great effort to travel inexpensively, etc. made for some uneasiness. I certainly felt God's hand on it and hope that Victor has been blessed above and beyond any expectations. In case anyone is wondering, the boys did great with Uncle Ian and Aunt V (they are the best!) I just wish the kids would have missed me a little bit:)

4 comments:

-C said...

What a great experience! I'm so glad that you guys got to go.

Marsha said...

How awesome! I'm so glad you got to go and spend some time with Victor. Obviously, God has been at work in his life thanks to y'alls faithfulness.

Daphne said...

I am so excited for you guys. Looks like you had a great time. It looks like a beautiful place. How neat to finally meet Victor. Does he hope to continue wood working or does he have something else in mind?
Isn't it a good feeling knowing you left your little ones and they survived!! Glad they had fun too.

Christina Marie said...

oh what a blessing indeed =) I am glad you had a great time. I love it there I got to take a few trips to Santo Domingo myself can't wait to go back.