Friday, February 27, 2009

Tami flu - Yes or No???

What a winter it has been! Athan has already had strep twice this winter and now the flu. It is pretty safe to assume that he got it from his dad, who had it last week. Alf started having symptoms on a saturday over a week ago. He goes into a walk-in clinic
(b/c both of us are horrible about going for regular check ups so we would be considered new pt. at our currant doctors)
on wednesday and comes out with a prescription for tami flu and something for a cough he had. Later, I find out that tami flu is no good if you dont start taking it in the first 48 hrs. What??!! Why did that doctor prescribe it to Alf then? It is an $80 drug!
Well, Athan gets off the bus last friday (dad is still in recovery mode - mind you, I have never seen my husband so sick in all my life) and I could tell right away something was not right. I could tell in his eyes, and his cheeks were flushed. I take him to the doctor Saturday morning. He tested positive for the flu. The boy's doctor, who we saw, is a great doctor. We know him personally. I talk to him about tami flu and what happened to Alf, ask him why that happened to Alf, and ask him his opinion about tami flu.
Listen up for those that dont know this!!!
Some Doctors (particulary those you dont have a prior relationship with) will sometimes prescribe you something vs. explain why not to prescribe you something. They dont want to look like an uncaring, incompetent doctor.
Now, Athan was in the time zone to take tami flu but after an extensive conversation with his doctor I chose not to fill the prescription. There is no guarantee of how much it will shorten the flu and Im not a big fan of taking lots of drugs....and it was $80.
Well, Athan has missed school ALL week. It has been an enjoyable, relaxing week believe it or not but still a missed week of school is not great.
Aiden now has fever. I have a friend call me up and says her daughter had the flu and started taking tami flu on the same day Athan was at the doctor and was back at school on Tuesday! Did I make a bad call? That friend had a whole bottle of tami flu that she was willing to give me for Aiden but I just needed to get the proper dosage. A pharmacist that I spoke with warned me that the drug, tami flu, is not a guarantee to shorten the flu - especially this years flu. Well, well, well.
Where do I go from here?? I give Aiden the free tami flu b/c -at this point- I like the sound of my isolation shortened if at all possible...and it is free. Also, Alf and I are going to find a doctor that we can both go to ...that we will see regularly...and have a relationship with...that wont blow smoke at us!
What is your view? I'd love to know!

4 comments:

Missy said...

Yuck yuck yuck! I am so sorry. I hope too that you are not next.
We don't have a good regular DR either. Not even the kids, although I am about to call our old one and beg him to take us back ;)
But anyways, Lana and I both had the flu last year and I opted to not do the tami flu either, bc of your same reasons. I think it is a gamble. Escpecially since they are not babies. Lana had the flu when she was 18 months and YES at that time I did do the tami flu, but I have no idea if it did anything except make me feel like a "better" parent and that I was trying to help her.
Last year, her and I just did like you said, had lots of down time and watched lots of TV. It sucked, but yes, we got over it.
Thankfully this year we have avoided the flu so far, although I took Logan today cause he has the symptoms of flu, but its a viral infection. This Dr was decent enough to not inflict a bunch of unneeded stuff at us. Anyways, I think if you can get the free stuff, may as well give it a try. I don't think it can hurt anything.
But if you choose not to, you also know that this will not last forever!

I hope ya'll feel better REAL soon!

:)

care-in said...

Missy's right, it's a gamble. I feel that way when the girls have a fever and wonder when/if I should take them in.

BTW...Elliya's tears over her hair are dependent on what kind of mood she's in. We do her hair every day. Sometimes it's just redoing pony tails but her hair doesn't stay...even by the end of the day it's looking dry and frizzy. We don't wash it every day though. Sometimes we'll just condition and use shampoo once a week.

Daphne said...

You know my dad has always said Docotrs are only "practicing" on us!!!

You never know girl I would probably go for the free stuff. I hope he is better now that it is Tuesday.

I have found that some meds are not as good as they say after you research them.

Missy said...

I just saw on the news the other day that they are now saying Tami Flu is NOT effective 94% of the time. That is not very good odds I'm a thinkin!